Wiki page for Academic Jobs in African & African American Studies advertised during the 2021-2022 hiring season.
Last year's page: African & African American Studies 2020-2021
Please add jobs in the following format and order them alphabetically by institution.
- Example University (State/Province, Country). Position Title. Specializations. Deadline. TT/NT. FT/PT. Link to Job ad(s). Updates:
TT/NT: Tenure-track or Non-tenure track.
FT/PT: Full-Time or Part-Time
For the sake of user-friendliness, please do not add more detailed content of the job ad on this page. (This is a departure from previous years, when these pages tended to become difficult to navigate. The new guidelines are modeled on more user-friendly Academic Wiki pages serving other disciplines.)
Add updates to the end of each entry as they come in: Additional materials requested, video interview scheduled, campus visit scheduled, offer extended, offer accepted, rejection received.
Please post "Have you heard?" questions above, under Word on the Street.
Please contribute to transparency in the academy by adding yourself and your advisors to the Academic Tree project.
RECENT ACTIVITY on African & African American Studies 2021-22 Wiki
2021/12/03 19:37- 18.104.22.168 -
- new position at CPP ← Older revision Revision as of 19:37, 3 December 2021 Line 69: Line 69: #'''San José State University (San José, CA)''' Assistan...
2021/12/03 05:08- 22.214.171.124 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 05:08, 3 December 2021 Line 34: Line 34: ==Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines== ==Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines== ...
2021/12/01 03:56- 126.96.36.199 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 03:56, 1 December 2021 Line 66: Line 66: ==Jobs with 2022 Application Deadlines== ==Jobs with 2022 Application Deadlines== ...
2021/11/28 04:02- 188.8.131.52 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 04:02, 28 November 2021 Line 69: Line 69: =='''Word on the Street'''== =='''Word on the Street'''== + +...
2021/11/26 20:19- 184.108.40.206 -
- updates ← Older revision Revision as of 20:19, 26 November 2021 Line 38: Line 38: #'''California State University Channel Islands''' (Camarillo, Cali...
2021/11/18 16:03- 220.127.116.11 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 16:03, 18 November 2021 Line 37: Line 37: #'''California Institute of the Arts''' (Valencia, California, USA): Faculty in Media/Digital Studies and...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/African_%26_African_American_Studies_2021-2022?feed=rss&action=history
Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines
- University of California, Riverside (Riverside, CA): Lecturer African American Studies, Spring 2022 quarter begins March 23, 2022 and ends June 10, 2022. Apply at: https://aprecruit.ucr.edu/JPF01500
- Baylor University (Waco, TX, USA): Assistant Professor (tenure-track) in African Studies, time period and region open. Teaching is 2/2 in the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core program within the Honors College. Candidates in the disciplines of history, cultural anthropology, sociology, literature, and religion, particularly with a focus on global and transnational approaches, are especially encouraged to apply. Other specializations will be welcomed. Deadline November 30. Apply here: https://facultysearch.interfolio.com/9873/positions/83063
- California Institute of the Arts (Valencia, California, USA): Faculty in Media/Digital Studies and Transnational Black Studies. The politics of “new media” (such fields as materialist media studies, feminist science and technology studies, digital/software/platform studies, or critical surveillance studies) and transnational Black Studies, with the Caribbean, Latin America, Asia, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, or the Middle East as possible geographical areas of expertise. November 30. FT, 3/3. https://calarts.edu/work-for-calarts/employment-listing/faculty-in-mediadigital-studies-and-transnational-black-studies
- California State University Channel Islands (Camarillo, California, USA): Tenure Track OPEN RANK. Hiring 3 positions from Africana Studies, Anthropology, Chemistry, Chicana/o Studies, Health Science, Performing Arts, Political Science, and/or Psychology. September 8, 2021. https://jobs.csuci.edu
- California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento, CA, USA): Assistant Professor in Black Feminist Studies. Review of applications begins November 15, 2021. Review date extended to November 29, 2021. We welcome all areas of specialization related to Black Feminisms, preferably from candidates with an interdisciplinary background in the social sciences to complement the department’s existing strengths in the humanities. TT. FT. 2/2 load for first two years; 3/3 thereafter. https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/505369/tenure-track-faculty-womens-and-gender-studies
- Davidson College (Charlotte, NC, USA). Assistant Professor in Africana Studies and English. "We encourage applications that situate African American literature within national and transnational contexts and / or engage in film studies, with attention to class, gender, sexuality, and disability." Joint position, but the ad states that the service to both departments shall be kept equivalent to that expected of a tenure-track faculty member appointed in a single department. October 11, 2021. TT. FT. 2/2 load first year; 2/3 thereafter. https://employment.davidson.edu/en-us/job/493912/assistant-professor-in-africana-studies-and-english (first-round interview complete; finalist)
- Emory University (Atlanta, GA, USA) Tenured/Tenure-Track Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor in African American Studies with a focus on race and education. Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021. Applications received up to 30 days after review begins will be given full consideration. https://apply.interfolio.com/93805. Start date August 2022.
- Emory University (Atlanta, GA, USA) "Visions of Slavery" Mellon Sawyer Seminar Postdoctoral Fellowship. Full review of applications will begin on December 15. http://apply.interfolio.com/95981. Start date September 2022.
- McGill University (Montreal, QC, Canada) Assistant Professor of Black Studies in Media and Technology. Full review of applications will begin on 27 October 2021. The position start date is August 1, 2022. https://www.mcgill.ca/ahcs/jobs.
- University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL, USA) . Assistant professor appointment specializing in Sociology, Race, and Gender, for the Department of Gender & Race Studies. We seek candidates whose sociological research addresses outcomes in specific environments and communities, such as prisons, schools, housing, the workplace, urban and rural populations, and immigrant and refugee populations. Review of applications will begin November 15, 2021. TT. FT. https://facultyjobs.ua.edu/postings/49342
- University of Waterloo (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada): Cluster hire for 10 Indigenous and 10 Black scholars in all disciplines. October 18th or until filled. Open Rank TT, FT, https://uwaterloo.ca/provost/cluster-hiring-initiatives.
- University of Delaware (US). Temporary Assistant Professor, Africana Studies. Deadline 8/15/21. FT, NT. Starts as early as January 2022.https://careers.udel.edu/cw/en-us/job/496727/assistant-professor-africana-studies Updates:
- University of Houston - Main (US) Assistant Professor in Black Studies. Review of Applications begins 11/15/21. https://uhs.taleo.net/careersection/ex2_uhf/jobdetail.ftl?job=FAC002099&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FChicago
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (US) Assistant Professor in Race and Media Studies, Media and Cinema Studies, Full consideration will be given to applications received by Oct. 8, 2021. http://jobs.illinois.edu Expected start date August 2022. Additional materials requested 10/12
- Univeristy of Michigian, Ann Arbor (MI, USA) Lecturer in Black Gender/Feminist Studies. Full consideration given to applications submitted by October 4, 2021. https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/Apply/App/Login.aspx Expected start date August 29, 2022.
- University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA, USA) Assistant, Associate, or Full (Tenure/Tenure-Stream) Professor in Black Studies in Teacher Education, Full consideration will be given to complete applications submitted by October 24, 2021. https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=21006365&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York%20 Start date Fall 2022.
- University of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA USA) Tenure-track Assistant Professor position in African American and/or Black Diasporic Literatures to begin Fall 2022. For full consideration, applications should be submitted by November 1, 2021. https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Full-Time_Faculty/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Assistant-Professor--Tenure-Track--English_R0005104 (first round interviews)
- Tulane Univ. (New Orleans, LA) Assistant Prof in Activist Media. Discipline and region are open and we are especially interested in applicants whose research-based creative practice and/or practice-based scholarship engages the lives, experiences, and cultural traditions of Black, Indigenous, or marginalized communities and explores the relationships between media and social justice. Apply: https://apply.interfolio.com/91952?fbclid=IwAR0UcGwYzjEf516QeZJ4dcun3RTDfUYsYRUKvloQwc_7wl3elSi_4mgFk-E
- University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA) Endowed Chair, Associate Professor or Professor (Race, Science, Technology and Health)- The Department of Africana Studies at the University of Pittsburgh invites applications for an endowed chair, the William S. Dietrich II Endowed Chair in Africana Studies. We welcome applications from full professors and advanced associate professors. Our department is seeking a scholar specializing in the study of race and how it intersects with science, technology, and/or health in Black communities in the United States and/or other countries of Africa or the African diaspora. We start reviewing applications on November 1, 2021. Apply: https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=21006454&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
- Berea College (Berea, KY). Tenure-track Position in Women’s and Gender Studies. Specialization: women-of-color feminism(s), anti-racist and anti-colonial feminism(s), sexuality studies, and disability studies. We especially welcome training and expertise in Native approaches to feminism, including Indigenous re/visions of (white) feminism’s institutionalization of queer and trans studies; as well as expertise in the intersection of Indigeneity and dis/ability, broadly construed. Deadline: Oct 15, 2021 (rolling). https://myberea.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=3&c=myberea&id=948
- The University of Tampa (Tampa, FL). The University of Tampa (Tampa, FL, USA). Assistant Professor of English, specializing in Critical Race and Ethnic Studies. Review of applications begins 11/20/21. TT/FT. We are particularly interested in scholars of African American studies, Latinx studies, or colonialism. Research and teaching specializations that might complement existing departmental strengths include gender and sexuality, Black literature, Cuban American literature, and the study of global nationalisms and empire. Our recently redesigned major in English includes courses in identity and difference, revolutions and rebellions, and cultural studies; the new hire will have the opportunity to design course content in these areas and others, and to shape curricular development in the major. https://utampa.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Faculty/job/Tampa/Assistant-Professor-in-Critical-Race-and-Ethnic-Studies_R0005861-1
Jobs with 2022 Application Deadlines
- San José State University (San José, CA) Assistant Professor of African American Studies (Tenure-Track). Specialization in urban sociology or at the intersection of race and the economics of inequality. Application deadline: 1/15/2022. Apply here: https://jobs.sjsu.edu/sj/en-us/job/506913/assistant-professor-african-american-studies
- Stanford University, Clayman Institute for Gender Research (Stanford, CA) Postdoctoral Fellow in gender/race/intersectionality/feminisms. 2-year term. Application opens 12/01/2022, Deadline: 01/06/2022. NT/FT, details and Interfolio application link at https://gender.stanford.edu/fellowships/postdoctoral-research-fellowships
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Pomona, CA). Assitant Professor of English (Tenure-Track) with expertise in African American Literature and Ethnic Studies. One of ten in an Ethnic Studies cluster hire. Deadline Jan. 12, 2022. Apply here: https://apply.interfolio.com/99864. Updates:
Word on the Street
11/26- Does anyone know if Notre Dame has sent out interview invitations?