Wiki page for Academic Jobs in East Asian Studies, Languages, and Literatures advertised during the 2021-2022 hiring season. This page is for jobs that begin in 2022.
Last year's page: East Asian Studies, Languages, and Literatures 2020-2021
See also: Ethnic Studies 2021-2022
Please add jobs in the following format and order them alphabetically by institution.
- Example University (State/Province, Country). Position Title. Specializations. Deadline. TT/NT. FT/PT. Link to Job ad(s). Updates:
TT/NT: Tenure-track or Non-tenure track.
FT/PT: Full-Time or Part-Time
For the sake of user-friendliness, please do not add more detailed content of the job ad on this page. (This is a departure from previous years, when these pages tended to become difficult to navigate. The new guidelines are modeled on more user-friendly Academic Wiki pages serving other disciplines.)
Add updates to the end of each entry as they come in: Additional materials requested, video interview scheduled, campus visit scheduled, offer extended, offer accepted, rejection received.
Please post "Have you heard?" questions above, under Word on the Street.
Please contribute to transparency in the academy by adding yourself and your advisors to the Academic Tree project.
RECENT ACTIVITY on East Asian Studies 2021-2022
2022/01/27 23:24- Srq09 -
- Jobs with 2022 Application Deadlines ← Older revision Revision as of 23:24, 27 January 2022 Line 104: Line 104: --Nothing here (1/20)...
2022/01/27 03:12- 188.8.131.52 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 03:12, 27 January 2022 Line 122: Line 122: Any news about the lecturer position in Premodern Japanese Studies at Edinburgh? [1/24]? Any news...
2022/01/24 16:06- 184.108.40.206 -
- Added 2022 deadline job ← Older revision Revision as of 16:06, 24 January 2022 Line 39: Line 39: #'''Swarthmore College (Swarthmore, PA).''' Full-ti...
2022/01/24 16:04- 220.127.116.11 -
- Word on the Street ← Older revision Revision as of 16:04, 24 January 2022 Line 118: Line 118: Re: Bard, nothing here [1/21] Re:...
2022/01/21 22:42- Birdirbirdir -
- Word on the Street ← Older revision Revision as of 22:42, 21 January 2022 Line 116: Line 116: Any news on Bard, UMD, or Fordham? [1/1...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/East_Asian_Studies_2021-2022?feed=rss&action=history
Jobs with 2022 Application Deadlines
- Swarthmore College (Swarthmore, PA). Full-time NT 2-year (2022-2024) Visiting Assistant Professor of Japanese (language teaching and modern literature). Deadline extended (Still accepting applications). https://apply.interfolio.com/96151
- Bard College (Annandale-on-Hudson). Full-time TT position, assistant professor in Chinese language, literature, and culture. Deadline Jan 1, 2022. https://apply.interfolio.com/95558
- University of Edinburgh. Full-time Lecturer in Premodern Japanese Studies. Deadline Jan 5, 2022. https://memorients.com/news/lecturer-in-premodern-japanese-studies-at-the-university-of-edinburgh
- Tel Aviv University (Tel Aviv, Israel). Full-time TT (from October 2022). Assistant professor, specializing in the research of Japan. Deadline: 28 February 2022. https://www.tau.ac.il/academic-position/160
- University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee (Milwaukee, Wisconsin). Full-time NT 3-year (beginning 2022) Visiting Assistant Professorship in Chinese History (specialization and time period open). Review of applications will begin February, 15, 2022. https://jobs.uwm.edu/postings/33369
Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines
- . Carnegie Mellon (Pittsburg, PA). Full-time tenure track Assistant Professor of Chinese Studies. Deadline: November 15. https://apply.interfolio.com/94345
12/17 notification that my application won't be further advanced. This should be the common practice. Very professional search commitee. Thumbs up and good luck to those that will get to the campus visit
x2 Received this notification earlier and did not advance to the Zoom interviews, a much appreciated gesture!
- College of the Holy Cross (Worcester, MA, USA). Full-time tenure-track appointment in Chinese Studies. Deadline: September 29. https://apply.interfolio.com/92375
1/13 official rejection received, assume they must have finalized hire
- University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ, USA), Full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor in Contemporary Japanese Studies. Deadline: November 30. https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=62263
Zoom interviews conducted December 14th/15th
- Aarhus University (Aarhus, Denmark), Assistant professorship in a tenure-track position in Japan Studies with a focus on modern or contemporary Japan. Deadline: November 10. https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=62208
- Fordham University (New York, New York), Assistant Professor of Chinese Studies. Deadline: December 12, 2021. https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=62414
- Pomona College (Claremont, CA), Assistant Professor of Chinese. Deadline: November. 1. https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/19441
11/5 Zoom interviews arranged
11/13 campus interviews arranged
6. University of Maryland, College Park (College Park, MD), Assistant Professor in Sinophone Cinema and Media Studies. Deadline: November 22. https://www.h-net.org/jobs/job_display.php?id=62294
12/13-12/21 Zoom interviews
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, NC), Assistant Professor of Modern Chinese and Sinophone Studies. Deadline: November 5. https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/199882
11/23 Zoom interviews arranged
12/7 invited for campus visit
7. Georgetown University (Washington, DC), Assistant Professor of Modern Chinese Literature and Culture. Deadline: October 25. https://apply.interfolio.com/95206
11/12 Zoom interview scheduled
11/27 Campus visit invitation received
8. University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA), Assistant Professor of Chinese and Sinophone Literatures. Deadline: November 23. https://apply.interfolio.com/94117
12/8 Zoom interview invitation
Anyone could teach Victor Mair how to use a virtual background during Zoom interviews? The table behind his back was filled with trash. This is very disrespectful, and indicative of how much "a big deal" cares about junior scholars.
1/4 Any updates on this search?
1/9 Campus visit invite received on 12/22
9. University of California Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz, CA), Interdisciplinary Scholar and/or Artist of South Asian Studies with an Emphasis on Issues of Economic and/or Social Justice. Deadline: June 30. https://apptrkr.com/2666491
10. California State University, Sacramento (Sacramento, CA), Tenure Track Faculty- Chinese History and Culture in the Department of Humanities and Religious Studies (75%) and the Department of History (25%) will have expertise in pre-modern Chinese history and culture, including religion, and facility with appropriate languages. Deadline: January 14. https://jobs.chronicle.com/job/409701/tenure-track-faculty-chinese-history-and-culture/
11. EARLY 2022 DEADLINE University of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh, PA, USA). Lecturer in Critical Race and Ethnicity studies to teach in Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies Program. Accepting applications through Jan. 6. Non-Tenure, Full-Time, with opportunities for promotion. Updated info: The online application system can't accept letters of recommendation, so applicants wishing to send letters now should have them emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=21008808&tz=GMT-05%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
12. Rutgers University (New Brunswick, New Jersey). Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Global Studies-Asia. All application materials including reference letters must be received by December 1, 2021.
Any news about this search?
--Co-ask: Any updates from Rutgers (1/11)?
--Nothing here (1/20)
1/27 Finalists have been chosen for campus visits (not myself); all S/SE Asia candidates on the finalist list I heard
Word on the Street
Any news on the TT assistant prof. job at Yale in Japanese Lit.? [11/05]
-->Campus visits arranged [1/10]
Any news about the TT assistant prof. job at Carnegie Mellon in Japanese Studies? [12/17]
--> Invited to virtual campus visit at CMU (Japanese Studies) [1/9]
Interview invite on 12/10
Any news on Bard, UMD, or Fordham? [1/18]
Re: Bard, nothing here [1/21]
Any news about the lecturer position in Premodern Japanese Studies at Edinburgh? [1/24]?
Any news on TT Assistant Professor in Korean Studies at UCSB or NYU? (1/27)