Page for Academic Positions in Health Sciences (and related fields) that start in 2019-2020.
- Interested in a career at Columbia Basin College? Join our team! From our distinguished faculty to our dedicated staff, CBC is committed to our vision to be the educational home that transforms students' lives through economic and social mobility. We seek to attract and retain engaged and dynamic individuals who are committed to helping all students be successful in accomplishing their goals and who will contribute to an exciting work environment. We value high quality instruction and student learning experiences that foster diversity, equity and inclusion in the classroom and expand into our local and global communities. We celebrate diversity in all its forms and believe that our many unique perspectives make us stronger.
Sound like something you'd like to be a part of? CBC is currently seeking a special faculty appointment for the Medical Records and Healthcare Information (MRHI) program. The faculty must be prepared to instruct MRHI courses to students and coordinate clinical related activities. This position will have expertise in scheduling student clinical rotations, assessing student learning and program outcomes and participate in ongoing curriculum development, revision and implementation. The MRHI faculty is responsible for development, maintenance and redesign of online courses.
This position reports to the Dean for Health Sciences.
CBC Faculty and Staff respect and work effectively with diverse students, colleagues, staff and others in a campus climate that promotes innovative teaching, quality scholarship, a diverse learning environment, and equitable access and educational achievement for all students.
GENERAL QUALITIES DESIRED:
- Passion for teaching and a commitment to student success;
- Commitment to the community college mission;
- Commitment to shared governance and staying current in one's discipline;
- Willingness to become involved in campus activities beyond one's discipline;
- Willingness to teach with a variety of methods, including eLearning and instructional innovations;
- Ability to teach individuals from diverse backgrounds effectively;
- Ability to pursue scholarly endeavors in area of expertise; and
- Ability and willingness to participate in the design and measurement of learning outcomes and institutional effectiveness efforts.
Salary: The base salary for this position is $59,163* for a standard 3-quarter contract (Fall, Winter & Spring). This is a 4-quarter program with instruction required over the summer quarter for additional compensation on an extra-contractual basis.
This position will also be assigned Coordinator duties for broad programmatic coordinator work for the MRHI program. The additional compensation is $6,400* per academic year (4-quarters beginning with summer quarter) per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. See duties below for separate coordinator stipend.
- Note: As this position is scheduled to begin Winter Quarter 2020, after the start of the academic year, the base salary and coordinator stipend will be prorated at the daily rate of pay for the remaining days left in the contract.
The incumbent will perform administrative duties related to program effectiveness, including outcomes, organization, continuous review and assessment, planning and the continued development of the MRHI program. Continued work towards accreditation and participation in the accreditation process including assessment of student outcomes, and annual reporting will be required. This position will also provide oversight of practicum ensuring appropriate and sufficient evaluation of student achievement in the practicum experience.
CBC Faculty and Staff respect and work effectively with diverse students, colleagues, staff and others in a campus climate that promotes innovative teaching, quality scholarship, a diverse learning environment, and equitable access and educational achievement for all students. This position is open until filled. Priority consideration will be given to applicants whose complete application has been received by February 2, 2020 at 11:59 PM PDT.
- Primary Responsibilities
- Develop, prepare, and teach a broad range of college-approved MRHI courses including Medical Terminology, ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-PCS, CPT Coding Systems, Legal Issues, General Management and Supervision, Acute and Alternate Health Care, Quality Improvement and Data Quality, Data Analytics, Record Content, and Standards and Supervision of Students in Clinical Practicum, in accordance with approved course descriptions and class schedules (includes the use of multimedia technology in the classroom);
- Develop syllabi and reading lists for each course taught and update annually; participate in departmental/divisional responsibilities in the selection of texts and related teaching resources;
- Maintain a minimum of five (5) regularly scheduled office hours each week at times that provide reasonable opportunities for students to meet with faculty;
- Maintain, submit, and retain accurate academic records, including verification of class rosters and student grades, by dates requested by the College and to comply with state and federal records retention laws;
- Orient students at the beginning of each class to syllabi and addenda, subject to subsequent modification and notice to students;
- Assess student learning outcomes, engage in timely interaction/feedback/grading to support student success and meet course outcomes;
- Provide students with appropriate learning resources to facilitate student success in achieving course outcomes, program outcomes, and appropriate College-wide Student Learning Outcomes;
- Demonstrate multicultural competence including an awareness and understanding of historically disadvantaged populations, and creating an educational environment that affirms commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Engage in shared governance by participating in department, division and College committees and assisting in the formulation of policy pertaining to educational programs;
- Participate in commencement ceremonies, wearing academic robes, unless excused by the President;
- Develop and attend professional improvement activities in order to maintain contact with one's academic discipline, including teaching/learning processes and/or development of knowledge in one's field of specialization;
- Participate in outreach activities to promote educational programs;
- Participate in special College projects, surveys, and studies;
- Assist in the preparation of reports as needed by College units (e.g., Student Services, Grants Office, Athletic Department, Institutional Effectiveness) and by the College in general (e.g., for accreditations, program review and so forth);
- Develop new instructional materials, techniques, course offerings or major revisions of the same;
- Participate in community service activities consistent with the College's mission;
- Participate in student career development in related advising or mentoring activities and special retention programs; and
- Attend College-mandated trainings, professional development activities and/or meetings.
- Required Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Certified as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) and verification of current credentialing or enrolled in program leading to RHIA or RHIT credential and able to obtain within 12 months of hire;
- Three (3) years of current work experience in the field of Health Information Management (HIM);
- Advance medical coding, HIM operations, compliance and HIPAA, data quality, EHR implementation and management experience;
- Experience working with education and curriculum design for adult learners (in a variety of formats);
- Intermediate computer experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office and learning management systems; and
- Experience developing courses that require testing and measurement of skills.
- Master's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university or an equivalent combination of experience and education (i.e., Bachelor's degree in curriculum development or education an three (3) years' experience teaching, drafting curriculum and course materials or other relevant educational experience);
- Two (2) or more years college-level teaching experience, including curriculum development and preparation of course materials.
GENERAL INTERVIEW INFORMATION:
Only completed applications submitted on or before the priority consideration date are guaranteed to be reviewed for this position. The interview process generally consists of an in-person or Zoom (video conference) initial interview, with top candidates selected for an on-campus interview. Those top candidates traveling from a distance of 200 miles or more will be provided travel expenses such as flight, per diem, etc. Those candidates traveling less than 200 miles, but more than 75 miles, will receive mileage at the IRS rate. Mileage calculations are determined by distance between the city in which the candidate lives and Pasco, WA using MapQuest. The College reserves the right to make changes to the process for an emergency hire or under exceptional circumstances as determined by the College.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is available Winter Quarter 2020 and is a full-time, one-year non-tenure track position. Schedule varies; assignment may include evening and weekend classes. This position will work at the CBC Health Sciences Building in Richland.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
In the interest of providing a healthy, safe and secure educational and work environment, and in order to meet the requirements of federal legislation, it is the policy of the College to maintain an alcohol and drug-free workplace for our employees and students.
If you are hired, you will need to provide proof of identity and documentation of U.S. citizenship or appropriate authorization to work in this position as required by the Immigration Reform Control Act of 1986.
Columbia Basin College operates under an approved affirmative action plan and encourages applications from persons of color, women, veterans and persons of disability. The Human Resources Office is accessible to those with disabilities. If you need accommodation in application or employment, contact the Human Resources Office at (509) 542-4740.
This is a bargaining unit position represented by the Association for Higher Education (AHE).
COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE (WA):
2600 N. 20th Ave., Pasco, WA 99301
Phone: (509) 542-4567