Wiki page for Academic Jobs in Medieval Literature advertised during the 2021-2022 hiring season. This page is for jobs that begin in 2022.
Please add jobs in the following format and order them chronologically by posting date (newest postings at the top).
- Example University. Position Title. Specializations. Deadline. TT/NT. FT/PT. Link to Job ad(s).
TT/NT: Tenure-track or Non-tenure track.
FT/PT: Full-Time or Part-Time
For the sake of user-friendliness, please do not add more detailed content of the job ad on this page. (This is a departure from previous years, when these pages tended to become difficult to navigate. The new guidelines are modeled on more user-friendly Academic Wiki pages serving other disciplines.)
Add updates to the end of each entry as they come in: Additional materials requested, video interview scheduled, campus visit scheduled, offer extended, offer accepted, rejection received.
Please post "Have you heard?" questions above, under Word on the Street.
RECENT ACTIVITY on Medieval 2021-2022 Wiki
2022/01/17 16:26- 184.108.40.206 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 16:26, 17 January 2022 Line 36: Line 36: ##11/19: Received request for more materials (x4) ##11/19: Received request for more materials (x4)...
2022/01/17 16:18- 220.127.116.11 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 16:18, 17 January 2022 Line 36: Line 36: ##11/19: Received request for more materials (x4) ##11/19: Received request for more materials (x4)...
2022/01/15 16:30- 18.104.22.168 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 16:30, 15 January 2022 Line 66: Line 66: ##1/5: Received invitation for campus visit (choice for virtual or in-person) ##1/5: Received invita...
2022/01/13 20:33- 22.214.171.124 -
- Wake Forest interview invitation ← Older revision Revision as of 20:33, 13 January 2022 Line 61: Line 61: #'''Wake Forest University''' (NC, USA). As...
2022/01/12 17:06- 126.96.36.199 -
- ← Older revision Revision as of 17:06, 12 January 2022 Line 102: Line 102: **I'm ABD with a request for more materials. My hunch is that anyone applying at the associate level is...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: https://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/Medieval_2021-2022?feed=rss&action=history
View page history: https://academicjobs.wikia.org/wiki/Medieval_2021-2022?action=history
Jobs with 2021 Application Deadlines
- Boğaziçi University (Istanbul, Turkey), Assistant Professor of Medieval Literature in English. The Department of Western Languages and Literatures at Boğaziçi University invites applications for a full-time position of Assistant Professor of Medieval literature in English to be filled by a Turkish national starting in the academic year of 2022-2023. Candidates should demonstrate the ability to integrate active scholarship with excellent teaching. PhD thesis defense is required by December 30, 2021. Please send your CV, a writing sample of approximately 20 pages, a teaching statement, and a cover letter in one PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Three confidential letters of recommendation should be sent to the same address. Deadline: 9/30/21. FT. http://westlanglit.boun.edu.tr/?page_id=2511
- University of Toronto (ON, Canada). The Department of English and the Centre for Medieval Studies in the Faculty of Arts & Science at the University of Toronto invite applications for a joint full-time tenure stream position (75% English & 25% Centre for Medieval Studies) in the field of Later Medieval English Literature (1200-1500). The appointment will be at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor, with an expected start date of July 1, 2022. Deadline: 11/1/21. TT. FT. https://jobs.utoronto.ca/job/Toronto-Associate-Professor-Professor-Later-Medieval-English-Literature-ON/549978717/
- Macalester College (St. Paul, MN, USA). The Macalester College Department of English invites applications for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Medieval Studies; secondary fields of interest are open. Deadline: 11/5/21 @ 11:59 PM. TT. FT.https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18927
- 11/19: Received request for more materials (x4)
- 12/14: Received invitation for Zoom interview (x3)
- 1/17: Received invitation for Virtual Campus Visit (x2)
- University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC, Canada). The Department of English Language and Literatures at the University of British Columbia (Vancouver) invites applications for an appointment in the field of the History of the English Language with a focus on World/Global Englishes. Deadline: 10/1/21. TT. FT. https://engl.air.arts.ubc.ca/position-jr3364/#apply
- Christian Brothers University (Memphis, TN, USA). Assistant Professor. Medieval and Early Modern Literature. Open until filled. TT. FT. https://cbu.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp;jsessionid=2D8BAD0FE9B216DC3184A92445BDE807?JOBID=135865&jobboard=148
- 11/24: Received invitation for phone screening x2
- 11/30: Phone screening interview; invited to interview with search committee via WebX
- Young Harris College (GA, USA). Assistant Professor. Premodern British Literature. Open until filled. TT. FT. https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=3891880
- 9/22: Initial Interview via Microsoft Teams app
- 9/23: Received e-mail invite for campus visit
- Cedarville University (OH, USA). Assistant Professor. Premodern British Literature. Open until filled. TT. FT. https://www.cedarville.edu/job-openings
- SUNY, New Paltz (NY, USA). Assistant Professor. Pre-1800 Literature. Deadline: 10/1/21. TT. FT. https://jobs.newpaltz.edu/postings/1411
- 10/25: Received invitation for Webx interview.
- 11/18: Received invitation for campus visit.
- University of Utah (Salt Lake City, UT, USA). The English Department at the University of Utah invites applications for the ESRR Chair in English, an endowed chair in medieval or early modern British literature at the rank of Advanced Associate or Full Professor to begin Fall 2022. Deadline: 11/2/21. TT. FT. https://joblist.mla.org/job-details/4580/associate-full-professor-medieval-or-early-modern-literature/?porder=English&so=Date&ix=8#top-pagination
- Screening interviews scheduled week of Jan 3-7.
- University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA, USA). Assistant Professor. Medieval Literature and Culture. Deadline: 10/18/21. TT. FT. https://apply.interfolio.com/93609
- 11/4: Received request for more materials
- 11/21: Received Zoom interview invitation (Pre-Conquest) (x2)
- Clemson University (Clemson, SC, USA). Visiting Assistant Professor. Medieval Studies. Deadline: 10/29/21. NTT.FT. https://apply.interfolio.com/95450
- 11/10: Received request for more materials (Timeline suggested interviews on 11/17) (x2)
- 11/16: Received Zoom interview invitation
- University of Miami (Miami, FL, USA). Assistant/Associate Professor. Race and Empire in Literature in English before 1900. Deadline: 11/12/2021. https://umiami.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UMFaculty/job/Coral-Gables-FL/A-S-ENG-Assistant-Professor-Associate-Professor-of-English--Race-and-Empire-in-Literature-before-1900-_R100051672
- 12/4: Received request for more materials
- Have interviews been scheduled yet?
- 1/4: Received Zoom interview invitation
- Wake Forest University (NC, USA). Assistant Professor in Early Medieval Literature and Culture. Deadline: 11/15/2021. TT.FT. https://hr.wfu.edu/careers/
- 12/10: Received request for more materials, writing sample and letters of recommendation (x3)
- 1/13: Received Zoom interview invitation (x2)
- St. Norbert College (De Pere, WI, USA). Assistant Professor of English. Medieval and Early Modern Literature. Deadline: 11/19/2021. TT.FT. https://snc.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=422
- 12/7: Received request for Zoom Interview and letters of recommendation (x3)
- 1/5: Received invitation for campus visit (choice for virtual or in-person)
- University of Groningen (Netherlands). Assistant Professor of Late Medieval and Tudor Literature and Culture. Deadline: before 12/14 (Dutch time). TT.FT. https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/job-opportunities/?details=00347-02S0008RYP&cat=wp
- 1/14: Received rejection.
- West Texas A&M University (Canyon, TC). Assistant Professor of English. Medieval Literature. Review Begins: 1/3/2021. TT.FT. https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WTAMU_External/job/Canyon-WTAMU/Assistant-Professor-of-English_R-044256
- Whitworth University (Spokane, WA). Assistant Professor of English. Medieval and Early Modern Literature. Review Begins: 1/15/2022. TT.FT. https://www.whitworth.edu/administration/humanresources/Pdf/1650/Assistant%20Professor%20English%2021%2022.pdf
- University of Georgia (Athens, GA, USA). Assistant Professor of English, []. Review begins: 1/28. TT.FT. https://www.ugajobsearch.com/postings/235156
Jobs with 2022 Application Deadlines
Word on the Street
Just out of curiosity, if you received a request for more materials from Penn: do you work on earlier or later medieval literature? (Pre/Post-Conquest)
- very solidly post-conquest; it's my understanding that this position is to replace David and Rita at Penn.
- Thank you!! I had heard the same thing but was curious, since they specified []. Good luck!
- You too! thanks for asking- I wasn't asked for an interview, so I think your reading of the job posting is right; I haven't heard of anyone post-conquest being invited to an interview (yet)
- early middle
New Question: does anyone have info on whether St. Norbert College is LGTBQ+ (esp Trans) friendly?
- considering their posting is explicitly seeking someone to teach trans and sexuality studies, I think... yes.
For the people who received requests for further materials from Macalester: Did you receive an email or did you just see new fields open in the application system?
- I got an email inviting me to submit further materials -- me too.
- Yes, I received an email from Macalester
- I received an email, which asked for teaching portfolio, 3 LORs, and a writing sample.
- Didn't receive an email, but got a notification from the system saying my application status had been updated, which then showed me requests for more materials.
- Re: Macalester--I did not receive an email requesting more materials, but my app status is now "incomplete" and there are new fields open in the application. Does this mean my application has been rejected, or should I submit the missing materials?
- I suspect this is an issue with the AJO application system, and that all applicants had those fields open up -- but only people who got an email as well are being considered in the next round. That said, it might be worth emailing the hiring committee chair to make sure?
- Re: Macalester again. I'm in the same position: my application is now listed as "incomplete", but I did not receive an email. I too suspect that it's an AJO application system issue, but did anyone write to the hiring committee chair?
- RE: Macalester -- wrote to committee chair about the incomplete application portal (after submitting materials), and the incomplete status is a fluke, not an indication that you are moving on in the process. AJO issue.
- NEW Q re Macalester-- are any of us applying at the associate level?
- Not me -- I got a request for more materials, but I'm a postdoc.
- I'm ABD with a request for more materials. My hunch is that anyone applying at the associate level is significantly less likely to be active on the wiki.
- I'm going up for tenure at my home institution this year and applied for consideration at Macalester as an Assistant Professor who would go up for tenure early. I did not receive a request for more materials. I suspect that plenty of people applying at the Associate level check in on the wiki.
- Is anyone else deterred from UGA b/c of the recent tenure change in GA? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it, but also it's really disincentivizing to even apply